Pets & The Dangers Of Household Chemicals
Some 70,000 new chemicals have been introduced into our society since World War II. Some of these compounds are a product of chemical warfare research and development. Many such chemicals have been introduced into items we purchase at our local rocery store. They are in products that you use to clean your clothes, your floors, your oven, and your pets.
Detergent and dogs don’t mix
A woman said her dog suffered serious chemical burns from a laundry detergent most people would consider harmless.
Click Here For The Pictures And The Whole Story
When we pick up a product at the local grocery store, most of us would like to think we are getting something that has been tested and proven to be safe.
You would think we have laws to protect our health and safety but there is no law that requiremanufacturers to list the exact ingredients on the package labels of consumer products In fact chemical names are often disguised by using harmless sounding "trade names" So even if the chemical IS on the label, you may not recognize it for what it is. Often times the inactive ingredients are the most harmful.
Most people think of "ingestion" when they think of poisoning. Although this is common, poisoning by inhalation or absorbtion is actually more common. When something harmful is swallowed, the stomach actually begins breaking down and neutralizing the poison before it is absorbed through the blood stream. But when you or your pets inhale toxic fumes, the poisons go directly into the bloodstream and quickly travel to organs like the brain, heart, liver, and kidneys.
Many products give off toxic vapors which can irritate your pets and your own eyes, nose, throat, and lungs, give you headaches, muscle aches, and sinus infections.
The process of releasing vapors into the air is called outgassing. This occurs when a chemical is tightly sealed in its container. You can notice this when walking down the cleaning aisle at your local grocery store.
Do you know that one square centimeter of skin (the size of a dime) contains 3 million cells and 4 yards of nerves?
Many medicines work by being absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin. Look at the Nicotenepatch.
Any chemical that touches the skin can be absorbed and spread throughout the body. This same absorption occurs every time a cleaning product touches your dogs feet or your skin. This can even happen when you come in contact with a surface that was treated with a chemical, days or even weeks earlier. Some cleaning products leave a dangerous lingering toxicity. This can be as simple as your dog or cat (or a young child crawling) walking across a floor that was mopped with a cleaner even days earlier!
According to EPA, North American's worst Air Pollution is inside our homes. Airborne hazardous and toxic chemicals inside urban and rural homes are with concentrations 2-5 times higher than levels outdoors.
Disinfectants & Pesticides
Pet Care Products including shampoos, deodorizers, disinfectants, lusterizers and flea collars can place your pets in continual contact with extremely harmful pesticides. Unknowingly, many people purchasing pet products are choosing toxic substances over natural products and many pets are being exposed to chemicals on a prolonged basis causing many adverse side effects which can lead to illnesses in both pet and owner. Take for instance, a long-lasting flea collar. The chemicals which kill fleas are continuously being absorbed into your pet's body; and by association, into your body as well. Chemicals found in pet collars include:
Piperomylbutoxide - prolonged exposure can cause liver damage.
DichlorvosDDVP - can cause cancer and liver damage in animals.
Carbaryl - can cause birth defects in dogs.
Some of these same chemicals can be found in pet shampoos, flea bombs, and sprays. Do you really want to spray these chemicals in your house just to kill fleas? And remember, after you kill the adult fleas, you have to spray again to kill the offspring after the eggs hatch. Now you and your pet receive a double dose. The health care practices that you impose upon your pet can directly affect your health as well.
One of the biggest myths that is perpetrated on the general public in advertising is that pesticides are safe! However, according to Dr. Russell Jaffe of Serammune Physicians Lab in Reston, Virginia, as many as sixteen million people in the US may actually suffer from some form of adverse reaction to pesticides. According to his study, approximately five million people suffer from reactions severe enough to potentially result in death. Another 500,000 people are afflicted with asthma, bronchitis, eczema, or migraine headaches, and the remaining approximately eleven million break out in hives or suffer from muscle and joint pain.
With today's increasingly toxic environment, our pets are coming down with serious and inexplicable health problems. A Flea collar is nothing but a poison necklace around your pet’s head. It emits a constant toxic cloud that your pet inhales, and so do you, every time you hug your pet. What about those insecticidal flea and tick shampoos and powders, sprays and dips and now top spots?
Stephen Blake, DVM states:
• Imidacloprid is an insecticidal agent that acts on the central nervous system of insects causing impairment and subsequent death. THIS IS TRUE..
• Imidacloprid is a topical solution that collects in the oils of the skin and in the hair follicles. It is not absorbed into the body and does not circulate through the blood stream. I FIND THIS INTERESTING WHEN I HAVE CLIENTS TELL ME THAT WITH IN MINUTES AFTER APPLICATION THEY CAN SMELL IT ON THEIR DOG'S BREATH.
• The effects of Imidacloprid lasts about 30 days and remain effective after bathing or swimming though shampooing should be avoided within 48 hours of application.
I HAVE REPORTS OF WHERE CLIENTS HAVE GOTTEN 3 MONTHS PROTECTION WITH 1/3 THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE AND NOT REPEATING MONTHLY.WHAT IS THE CUMULATIVE DOSE IN YOUR PETS AFTER MONTHS OF APPLICATION? NO ONE REALLY KNOWS AND IF THEY ARE SENSITIVE OR YOU ARE TO THE CHEMICAL IT COULD MEAN SEVERE HEALTH CONCERNS.
• Fleas are rapidly killed and between 98 and 100 percent of fleas die within 12 hours. Reinfesting fleas are killed within 2 hours.
THIS IS TRUE BUT DOES ANY ONE CONSIDER THE FACT THAT CHILDREN HUG AND KISS THEIR PETS, AND THEY DO NOT HAVE RUBBER GLOVES OVER THEIR ENTIRE BODY. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE SAFETY STUDIES ON CHILDREN. HOW MANY CHILDREN WERE IN THE STUDY. MORE IMPORTANTLY WERE THERE EVER ANY STUDIES IN THE FIRST PLACE? ASK THE COMPANY OR WHO EVER YOU BUY THIS FROM TO SHOW YOU THE STUDIES BEFORE YOU USE ANY THING THAT HAS TOXICITY OF ANY KIND.
• Imidacloprid is a prescription drug and can only be obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian. FALSE, YOU CAN ORDER THIS ANY WHERE ON THE INTERNET AND THAT IS REALLY SCARY TO ME .
• For more information on the potential toxicity of this chemical, go to http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/imidaclo.htm and be informed. I have a client have a grand mal seizure after being exposed to Front-line and a client who's lips became paralyzed after accidentally getting some on her lip. So much for it doesn't effect people ...
Dr Blake is a licenced veterinarian certified by the Homeopathic Veterinary Academy as a Homeopathic Veterinarian and as a Veterinary Acupuncturist by the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society. He mainly use Aromatherapy, Classical Homeopathy, Bach Flowers, massage, acupuncture and nutrition to care for his patients. "I have found that 90% of time I am able to help animals with their medical needs without using drugs or surgery. The use of drugs and surgery have a place in veterinary medicine but their need is much less than we are led to believe. The Greek definition of physician is teacher and that is what I do my very best to do when caring for my animal friends."
The Pet Whisperer.Com
Other Dangerous Chemicals
Brandon Brooks, DVM - "Many (if not most) Over The Counter (OTC) or non-prescription flea control products are very toxic to cats and kittens- especially the ones only approved for use in dogs. Many people mistakenly buy these for their pet (it's not always their fault, the companies that make them want you to buy it, they don't really care about the dangers involved) so it pays to be extra careful when buying flea control products."
Insecticides Associated with Bladder Cancer in Dogs
- A statistically significant association between exposure to topical flea and tick dips, and the occurrence of bladder cancer in dogs has been found. The risk of bladder cancer was increased further in dogs living in proximity to areas sprayed regularly with insecticides for mosquitoes. An increased rate of bladder cancer in humans has recently been reported (Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 1989(28): 407-414
Dee Blanco, D.V.M - "You take healthy animals and often very quickly after you vaccinate, you can see simple things like itching of the skin or excessive licking of the paws, sometimes even with no eruptions. We see a lot of epilepsy, often after a rabies vaccination. Or dogs or cats can become aggressive for several days. Frequently, you'll see urinary tract infections in cats, often within three months after their [annual] vaccination. If you step back, open your mind and heart, you'll start to see patterns of illness post-vaccination."
The ASPCA has compiled a list of chemicals that could prove to be harmful, if not deadly, to your pets. Let’s take a look at some of the chemicals that are commonly found in almost every home. Click here for the list
There are natural chemical free alternatives for household cleaning that are much better for your pet and your family, here is a list of pages with chemical free cleaning products that we use in our own home and highly recommend:
Young Living Thieves Cleaner